The main aim of this rebuild is to fit Ford's 3 cylinder 1.0 turbocharged ecoboost engine and 6 speed gearbox into my 2+2. It currently has a 1.6 cvh and 5 speed bc 'box. There are quite a few reasons for the change, more power and improved economy to name a few. not to mention the engineering challenge of making it all fit! the plan so far is:
fit ecoboost engine and 6 speed gearbox and possibly focus front suspension
a lot more will probably crop up, but thats the current plan
I recently purchased a 1.0 ecoboost engine off ebay complete with ECU and loom with 1200 miles on the clock. unfortunately i then spent a weeks worth of evenings working on a mates car, meaning the start on this engine was delayed...so far i've stripped the ancillaries off and painted the block. my insurance and tax is up for renewal in March next year, so that's when the car will be coming off the road. At the moment i'm just sorting out components lots more updates to follow!
That's a very compact engine, is the 6 speed ' box as compact? Interesting project to follow!. Good luck as keep us posted, please
The actual engine block will sit on an A4 piece of paper! With the ancillaries on its quite a bit bigger. From the pictures I've seen the gearbox is quite compact, not actually purchased one yet due to low funds, planning to get one in the new year
I've got the complete engine bay loom and fuse box, the wiring will be the hardest part of the project! Standard form its 125bhp 170nm of torque, with an overboost feature of 200nm for a brief few seconds if you plant the loud pedal. Around 50/55mpg in a focus, but in a lighter quantum? We'll have to wait and see! This will be staying in standard form for now, other than uprated intercooler. Then it will be going to superchips, or preferably mountune for a remap and around 150hp and 200nm torque. Will also have a decat and k&n. Ford recomend forged internals for more than 170hp so I'm way within tolerances. The gearboxes are good for decent power too. Clutch is on the limit at around 170hp as well.
I considered the 2.5L duratec I5 lump and 6 speeder from the focus st, but fuel economy, tax and insurance (I'm 18 at the end of the month..) ruled that out! Although those engines sound sweet as!
Just a small update today because I went to support my Granddad at a model engineering exhibition. A steam locomotive he has been building for the last 15 years and finally completed was on show and he received a very prestigious gold medal award for it!! This is the 5th loco he's built, and literally everything he has made himself in his workshop. He's known for building very accurate models that not only look great but also run very smoothly. Saying he is a "skilled" engineer is an understatement!
The auxiliary belt on the ecoboost engine drives an air-con pump..and i'm not fitting air-conditioning, so it's just a big heavy lump on the side of the engine. i've bought a pulley of very similar diameter with a bearing in the centre and my plan is to make up a bracket to hold the pulley in the correct position. I should get that finished this week and will update accordingly........
Just finished welding up the bracket to mount my pulley on. I've just been doing the odd bit in the evening this week and this is what I've achieved:
a length of box section was the obvious choice for the bracket, but open ended wasn't really an option because it sits in all the rain and road muck. So i cut some 1.0mm sheet steel to the same size as the box section end and welded it on, then ground down and dressed the welds to a similar profile to the box section. this way no moisture/muck can get trapped inside.
I then needed a 30mm spacer to maintain the correct offset of the pulley from the crank. the bearing in the pulley centre has a 10mm hole in, so the spacer needs to have a threaded hole in order for me to bolt it together. A lump of round mild steel bar turned down to make sure its true and a centre drill imprint in the end..
8.5mm hole bored into the centre, ready to be tapped m10 course
started the taper tap off in the tailstock to make sure it started true
then finished it off in the vice. annoyingly i couldn't find the m10 plug tap so had to wind the taper tap all the way through, it was only just long enough!
then stuck it back in the lathe to turn an angle on the end which will sit on the pulley
drilled the 8mm holes in the bracket and clamped the spacer into position just while i tacked it in place
then removed clamp and welded up properly. I won't be winning any competitions with that welding! i was concentrating on working as much heat as possible into the fat spacer, not so much on technique...like i said, not a pretty weld, but it's not going anywhere! lol
just needs some paint and then the first part of a lot of fabrication is complete!